Thursday, November 09, 2006

Confidence: Over or Under?

          Finding the right balance of confidence is difficult.  Obviously there is positives and negatives to being either over or under confident.  The trick to find the lesser evil.  In my case, I have done it both ways.  And the over is the better choice.
          To be more over confident can be taxing.  But it is taxing on those around you and not necessarily on you directly.  You may come off as arrogant, or cocky, or just plain rude.  And here is what it has taken a while to learn. Even if you can back it up, it still isn't ok.  Depending on how you express yourself, you can sound like a jackass.  Also, you run the risk of making big mistakes, and biting off much more than you can chew.  All this taken into consideration, it shows you believe in yourself.  And it's hard to get others to believe in you, when you don't believe in yourself.
          Being under confident is rough on others, and on you.  When you don't you have doubts about yourself, it affects your performance.  It also affects the things you attempt to do.  As far as others go, they can see it.  They see your doubts, and then they have their own.  You seem wounded, incomplete, and frankly pitiful.  Don't be that guy.
          So for me, I choose the over.  I get more done, and I appear better.  Although sometimes viewed as cocky, it also makes me a go to guy.  If you have a random question, and you know me, chances are I'm the first place you look.  And I like that.

JMO
         

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home